Friday, July 25, 2008

Wedding Update

We have a band!! Whohoo! Well, actually, I am not that terribly excited, but it's still good news.
Before I get into the good news, however, I need to take a moment to talk about my giant wedding countdown clock here on the right. I thought I was totally going to dig it. I had essentially been waiting to blog until I could figure out how to get it up there. And now... It TERRIFIES me!! Do you know how much I have to get done in 133 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes, and 6 seconds!!!! AHH!
But onto the band.
Joe and I had planned on having a DJ, then he got some hair up his derriere (is it hair or hare- like a bunny?) Whatever it was that went up there, he was suddenly longing for a band.
So we scoured the Internet and any live music venue in town for an acceptable band. The first band we wanted was good- young, peppy, played current music and had a horn section. They were booked. Ugh.
The next band we knew was booked, but we went to see them anyway. And they were AWESOME! They totally ruined us. We could never find anyone like them. Ugh.
Then Joe found an '80s band who were so fun, but so '80s! If it were my reunion, perfect. For my pretty formal wedding? I don't think so. Ugh.
So then Joe moved on to another band, that was apparently too inappropriate for a wedding. And if Joe thought so, then they had to be pretty bad. Ugh.
Then we found a band that sounded okay. We got to crash a wedding reception to hear them and they were just okay. Until the 50 year old lead singer tried to sing Hey Ya by Outkast and then it turns out they were pretty awful. Ugh.
So we went ahead and booked a DJ. Fine. Like we originally planned.
Although Joe never lost hope. Today we received our contract for a band called Endless Summer. They play all over, mostly in Indiana, but all around. They even played in the tiny little town in South Carolina we lived in for a year. They sound really good online, although we have yet to hear them in person. We are hoping to crash another wedding reception, but apparently this MOB hasn't given the all clear to let two hooligans like Joe and I in for 20 minutes to hear the freakin band... But I digress.
We can have the 6 members of the band, plus three extra horn players and a DJ! The DJ will play for up to 3 hours (although I think we will just need two), and then the band for up to 4 hours. So, the plan is for the DJ to start at 4:30 for the cocktail hour, where there will be Christmas music played softly. At 5:30, the DJ will do the announcement of the bridal party and the HUSBAND AND WIFE, then we will do our first dance with the DJ followed by dinner, where some light jazzy stuff, with maybe some Norah Jones, will be played softly. Then the party starts around 6:30 or 7:00. Then the band can play until 11:00.
I think my favorite part of the band is they include JTs Sexy Back on their playlist. How awesome is that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah ! when you said band I thought wedding ring band. lol
Sounds like a great plan.

Finding Normal said...

Sounds like the best of both worlds!