Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

As this is my first Thursday Thirteen, I thought I could do 13 firsts.
1. My first kiss: Hmm, this isn't starting out so well. My pre-Alzheimer's memory may make this list a little challenging... I think it was with Gary in 5th grade? Gary was my sister's best friend's brother. He was my on and off boyfriend in elementary, middle school and high school. I used to wear a leather bracelet with his name burned into it. So romantic.
2. My first car: Remember this list? I inherited that first little beauty from my sister when I turned 16. I think JD Momma had moved on to her super awesome Cougar and I was left with the Cutless.
3. My first flight: My family went to Hawaii on my dad's frequent flyer miles when I was ten. We flew the 20 minutes to Chicago, then the TEN HOURS to Hawaii. I think I read 15 books.
4. My first time drunk: I was a junior in high school with my best friend. We were drinking vodka and Sunny D (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME) and swimming naked in her Grandpa's pool. I puked in a box that night.
5. My first job: I worked at the cashier's station at the pool.
6. My first apartment: I got an apartment with three other girls my junior year of college. It was actually pretty nice- a three story townhouse.
7. My first hospital visit: I was maybe 8 and I was roller skating in my basement when I fell pretty hard and knocked the wind out of me. I think I must have panicked, the folks panicked, and I would up in the ER in my jammie t-shirt and underpants.
8. My first appearance in a bridal party: I was maybe 7 or 8 and I was the flower girl in my cousin's wedding. It was in the '80s, and I totally had one of those dresses with a hoop in the bottom! I'm thinking of making my bridesmaids wear something similar. I have been in 5 weddings since.
9. My first house: Officially, I haven't had a house yet. The last house I lived in was actually my boyfriend/fiance's and I moved in there after he had been there over a year. I now live in a house, but it's a rental- so it's not really our house.
10. My first embarrassing moment with the future in-laws: I had to get creative with this first, but it's such a great story, I had to share. I had been dating the good Doctor for a couple of months at this point and we went to IU to tailgate. The Doc's extended family has always always tailgated, but his parents hardly ever go. In fact, I think it had been years since his mom, Mimi, had been to a game (I am not sure she has been to one since this event.) So the Doc and I go to one of the local bars to drink a little before. They have something here called the Hairy Bear, which is something like 8,965 shots of random boozes that somehow taste like Kool-aid. Thinking I was a rock star, I keep up with the Doc on this drink, then we head over to the tailgate. At the tail-gate, I keep drinking, drink for drink, with the Doc, and the rest of the story is pieced together by fuzzy memories and eye-witness accounts. I apparently go with the Doc and his folks into the stadium, where we go to a fancy meet and greet inside, then proceed to our seats. Our seats are up in the Alumni section (think wealthy and older.) I am devolving into a large amoeba, and before long I am sitting in between the bleachers with my head in my hands. The Doc looks over, asks if I am okay, and I proceed to vomit all over my shoulder, in between the bleachers, and probably a little on our unsuspecting alumni neighbors. The Doc kind of shields me me from his parents and shepherds me into a bathroom. In the bathroom, I start to freak out because I am so embarrassed (this freak out progresses over the span of about 5 hours and moves from the bathroom, to the parking lot, to the car, to the parent's house). The Doc sends his MOM in with a new shirt for me (since mine is covered in vomit). It’s no wonder that man wants to marry me.
11. My first "real" job: After I graduated college, I started working as a nurse in the Surgical ICU of a large teaching hospital.
12. My first pet: Growing up on 12 acres on the outskirts of town, I know we had various cats, dogs, goats, etc before we had Patches. But Patches is really my first pet. She showed up in our backyard when I was around ten, all scrawny and missing big chunks of hair. She was so sweet then. Once she recovered, she was pretty much all sass, but she was still my baby.
13. My first, ahem, time: I was seventeen and it was in a hotel in St. Louis. It always makes me laugh to think about calling their lost and found and asking if they still have my virginity...

For more Thursday Thirteens, go here.

6 comments:

Karen Coutu said...

Welcome! Great first T13 list!! LOL at calling the hotel in #13!!!

Here's mine . . .

http://3garnetsn2sapphires.blogspot.com/2008/07/thursday-thirteen-5th-edition.html

Anonymous said...

I'm always so muddy about this kind of firsts. I mean, is it a kiss if you didn't quite land on the mouth? But really close? Or does it have to be French? First pet? Until I moved out on my own, it was never entirely clear which animal belonged to whom.

John Deere Mom said...

Look at you with your first 2 comments ever! Woo hoo!

Finding Normal said...

Great list!

Always Been Different said...

Graet List!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

You are so grounded.lol