Saturday, July 26, 2008

My New Gig

Since Joe's residency was only (only?!) 4 years, we knew we would have to make a decision about where to live when he was done.
We looked in California. Which sounds exotic, until you arrive in the tiny little crap town where he interviewed. He looked in the south, but every job supervised nurse anesthetists, rather than him doing the job.
Somehow, we decided on the Fort. Which I'm coming to realize is like a really really big small town, with better shopping options.
So, what I'm getting at is I was going to have to quit my job. I had taken a new job in May 2007. It was still in the same hospital system that I had worked for the last 6 years, but I was doing administrative/office kind of stuff. No direct patient care. (Read: no cleaning up poop) After Joe signed his contract in the Fort, and we started looking for places to live, I figured my boss would find out soon so I wanted to tell her as early as possible.
When I went in to tell her, she wasn't surprised as she knew Joe was going to be done soon, but then she dropped the bomb. "Would you want to work from home?" Huh? Come again? Seriously? Work in my jammies from the Fort? This is an option? My response to her was pretty much just that. She told me there weren't any policies for or against us, but she would run it by the VP, HR, and legal to figure something out.
So today, I type this blog from my "home office." I have been at it for three weeks now and it is going pretty great. My first week felt weird, but part of that was coming off a two week vacation during which time we moved in to this new place. So that took a little adjusting. My second week started a little rough, as there were grumblings from some people as they were finding out I was working from home. What was so annoying about this was that if the people that were complaining hadn't been told I was working from home, they never would have known. My office number is forwarded directly to my Blackberry. I still have my pager. I still see all the VIPs when I come down for meetings. So week two was rough.
By this past week though, I have pretty much found a routine. I am much more effective than I thought I would be; probably more effective than I was from the office. I am definitely getting an extra hour of sleep which is lovely. I am eating better, far away from office chocolate and baked goods. I have had to put very strict guidelines on my blog access during the work day. I will allow myself to check my comments, but not actually write a new post. I'm so strict.
This is all fitting into my master plan of not working at all. I am trying to impress Joe with my cleaning and culinary skills so he sees how important it is to have me at home. So when I get tired of driving 2 hours down and back for a meeting once a week, and after we are hitched so I have insurance, I can transition into a stay at home mom. After that I will work on having the kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you need to stop with the cleaning right now, so Doc Joe will see how BUSY you are with work AND cooking and NEED to hire a cleaning person. You can't do everything ! Then, when the kiddies start rolling out, you will be glad you have the cleaning help in place.

John Deere Mom said...

I still suggest you consider being a stay at home mom without actually having kids. It would be a sweet deal.

Finding Normal said...

I'm so with Ang. Hell, I'll lend you MY kids whenver you feel an urge! And you're supposed to be setting the bar low. I set mine too high initially and have had to gradually train him to do shit for himself, which is super annoying. Set it low and then he'll be surprised if you don't burn something. :)

Anonymous said...

LISTEN TO YOUR WISE SISTER on this one;) LOL