Monday, August 11, 2008

Happy Happy Birthday

Today is Doctor Joe's 31st birthday. Dude, he's so old. Like as old as my sister.
Last year for Joe's 30th birthday, I surprised him with a trip to New York. I packed his bags for him, made him get in the car, and he didn't know where we were going until we got to the airport. I am still paying off that birthday present. (Thank goodness for 0% APR credit cards). Since I am still paying on that one, this one was a bit more low key.
We went out for a very fancy dinner in the smallest town up here over the weekend. It is such an odd place, the town is maybe a few hundred, and there is this phenomenal four star restaurant. We had fois gras (which is freaky but really good); Joe had lamb and I had fish. And then we had four desserts.
Today for his real birthday, Joe had to work, but he requested a few pies for his present. So I spent all afternoon baking up a storm. He wanted a key lime pie, a cheesecake, and a blueberry pie. So he got...


The key lime pie was the most time intensive. I used actual Key Limes, not regular limes. I felt like I was in some reality show competition while I was squeezing all those tiny little limes. Do you know how many of these

it takes to get 2/3 cup?! Well, I don't either, but it felt like a lot.

Should Joe and I consume all the desserts I made tonight, we would eat 3.3 pounds of sugar, 1.33 pounds of graham cracker, 1 pound of cream cheese, 1 pound of butter, 5 eggs, and 3 egg yolks.
Now I am going to go lay on the couch and watch the Olympics, I mean, go burn off some calories.

7 comments:

Finding Normal said...

All pies look YUM! And I glimpsed what is rumored to be a ginormous ring. A little more to the right, please! Happy Birthday, Dr. Joe!

Anonymous said...

WOW....you rock!!! PLEASE don't let my husband see this tho, he might think I will do the same thing, NOT! LOL

I hope he had a Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

As OLD as your sister !! that's a little old for a young chick like you. I am impressed with you pie baking skills !

John Deere Mom said...

Hey! I take offense to that. And my husband is starting to think he married the wrong sister. I told him about this as I served him his random piece of leftover sheet cake. He said we shouldn't let you watch the kids unless you brought pie with you. I told him I would MAKE you pie to watch the kids. He's crazy!
And froi gras? No. Just no. Oh, and I must say I didn't even know there were key limes. Huh.

Anonymous said...

I think there are Key Limes and also Lock Limes. They kinda go together.

Anonymous said...

WOW what a lucky guy and those pies look wonderful save me a slice of key lime!!yummmy

Finding Normal said...

Psst. Write! Or are you still in a pie coma?